Monday, May 5, 2008

Rewind


Do you ever wish you could rewind time and go relive specific moments or days of your life?


I've felt like that sometimes today, as I sit 2 weeks removed from surgery.


Last Monday & Tuesday, pain levels were subsiding, I was off hard meds and beginning to feel like myself. It definitely seemed like the worst of the recovery was over.


Thursday through today has been a whole different story.


I visited the Dr on Thursday (first followup after surgery), and I was just beginning to have some intense pain in my shoulders, back of the neck, and upper to mid back. He didn't find that very unusual, except that the surgical site was still significantly swollen.


By Thursday night, the pain level was over my head and Holly called the Dr for help.


Went back in to the Dr office on Friday, then wound up heading down to the hospital for blood tests and a CT scan to check on the swelling. The Dr sent me home with new meds and told me to monitor my body temperature and the swelling in my neck.


Sunday, I briefly got up to the church to see Michael and Josh baptized. Very exciting morning and I'm glad I made it for that, but that was the extent of my outing. Back to the house and back to bed.


Today, the swelling seems to be subsiding in my neck some which the Dr is excited about ... but still no pain relief for my shoulders, neck, and back ... which is what I will be excited about!


So we are waiting ... patiently, as best we know how. I did get up and walk for a few minutes outside which was nice, atleast to clear my head. Haven't been out of bed a whole lot the last few days b/c pretty much every movement is accompanied by sharp pains. Kinda felt like a pregnant lady on bed rest, except that I'm not a lady and I'm not pregnant!


It has been exciting, but tough, to hear the prayers of my kids. I hear, "God please heal daddy's owies so he can pick me up ... so we can wrestle ... so he can tickle me ... etc." It is exciting seeing our kids call out to God, but it makes me sad to hear them verbalize some of the things they miss doing together with me.


I saw Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark today. Pretty gruesome, but interesting seen toward the end when the Germans open the Ark and God's presence goes out from the Ark and slays them. I'm sure that's not what it would look like, but interesting nonetheless to see man's depication of holiness in the midst of unholiness.


I saw Charlie Wilson's War last night. Holly fell asleep halfway through it. I'd have to do some research to find out about how accurate to history that was, but doesn't seem important enough to do so. Wouldn't watch that one again.


I saw 27 Wedding Dresses two days ago (because I love my bride a whole bunch!) Two words - chick flick.


Please continue to pray with us specifically over these issues:

- swelling would completely go away at the surgical site in my neck.
- any infection in my neck would go away
- pain in my shoulders, neck and upper-mid back would go away
- we have eyes that can see & ears that can hear God during this crazy time

Thanks!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I'm still thinking and praying for you and yours. Tell Holly that I know her tiredness and weariness. I was there when Aletha had to have a similar back surgery when Tot was only 1-month old. I didn't have Jesus then but He was with me- drawing me closer to him. "Every event has God's perfect will in it, I will explain the details AFTER it's all said and done. Your Honor, that's the story I'm sticking to!!!" (smile)
Love you bro