Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Patience


As is with pretty much every spiritual principle, you can't grow by simply learning ... you've got to take what you've learned and put it into practice.


Patience is not one of those things I'd often pray for because to learn patience through experience can be a painful thing ... sometimes, in my case, literally.


I now sit over three weeks removed from surgery and had one of the most painful nights of my life yesterday. In spite of having heavy meds and muscle relaxers, I was ready to cry "uncle" or "mercy" or whatever! I think it was my perseverance (Holly would call it stubbornness) that kept me from going to the ER last night. I was very, very close to breaking.


The good news is the surgical site is healing up well and signs of infection are pretty much cleared up, but I am experiencing a phenomenal amount of acute muscular pain in the back of my neck, shoulders (trap muscle), and in between my shoulder blades. I never knew muscle spasms could be so painful or last so long. It has been about 2 weeks, and last night it came to a head. I had a deep tissue massage on Monday to try to work out some of the muscle cramping, and apparently I wasn't ready to deal with the consequences of that.


I was unable to get in touch with my Dr last night, but got in touch with him this morning and he upped my pain meds and gave me something to help me sleep. Man, can I use that!


Please pray for a couple of things for me over the next couple days ...


1) that I would grow in patience

2) muscle cramping would cease and desist!

3) that meds wouldn't make me so groggy so I will still be able to hear God speaking clearly to me

4) that I will be able to get back to the office, at least a couple hours/day soon. I tried to go on Monday morning (after the massage). I didn't last long and really couldn't focus b/c I was in so much pain.

5) that God would grow my taste buds for eternal things and deaden my taste buds for worldly things that sidetrack me from pursuing God.


Food for thought ...


1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.


God, please use this journey to refine my hope ... that it would be set squarely on you and not on fleeting worldly stuff!


Finally, praise God for my bride. Holly rocks!!!


Peace.

No comments: